Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Paint Sample Calendar - Under $3.00!

Last week, I was browsing through thrift store frames, in order to find glass for some nice frames I got on clearance, because their glass was broken. The glass from one turned out to be slightly bigger than I needed, and since it was a pretty frame (but not black, like the frame grouping I was putting up) I set it aside.  Today I decided I would use it to make a dry erase calendar.

I have seen examples of these around on Pinterest (you can just do a search for paint sample calendar, and find some great examples), and since I had various paint chips from other projects I had done, it seemed like a no-brainer.

Here is the frame I started with:

 
A lot of examples I saw used a singular color in varying gradients, but my samples were a pretty mixed bunch. I layed them out into what I thought was a pleasing pattern, making sure I had five rows. Since the width of my frame was 20 inches, I thought it might be better to cut each sample down to 3 inches wide for each day, leaving a space on the side of the calendar for notes.
 
 
Some of the cards weren't in great condition, or had different writing on the side, so I cut them down to 3" by 2 1/2", just enough so that I could fit 5 rows of 8.
I then used Elmer's spray adhesive to spritz the back of each, being careful to lay each row on the cardboard in the order I had them layed out. Any glue would probably do, spray, white or even a glue stick; as long as it allowed you enough time to manipulate each sample as close together as possible, so the backing does not show through.
 
 
It was at this point that I realized two things:
 
1. I don't know how to count, as I somehow only had 4 rows, not 5.
2. I am not very good at cutting by hand, and you could really see this where the edges met up.
 
Hmmm....always good to have extras, and ingenuity.
 
I cut another row, then used some white yarn I had to make a grid pattern over each edge. This turned out to be a nice seperation for the days, once it was fully assembled. To further seperate the notes section, I used a piece of complementing ribbon. I did this by taping the yarn around the back of the cardboard, and using just a touch of glue in some spots, to keep the lines straight.
 
So this is the finished project:
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is the breakdown:
Frame from thrift store                    $1.99
Paint Samples                               Free
Mini Dry Erase markers(from Dollar store)  $1.00
        Total:                             $2.99
 
 
Spray adhesive, yarn and ribbon were things from my stash.
 
 
Easy, cheap and SO useful. I use a different color for each kid, so I can see what the day has in store for everyone. I would love to hear back and see pics of everyone else's take on this!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment